Have you recently started reducing your tillage or adding cover crops to your operation? If so, you can get rewarded up to $30/ton of sequestered carbon! To get started, take Truterra’s survey, which can be found at www.truterraag.com/carbon, to see if you are eligible.
- Truterra only buys previous years credits, NOT future carbon credits. Therefore, if a farmer is wanting to sell carbon credits again next year, carbon credit prices will change based on the market.
- Truterra will send the farmer the payment amount before needing to sign a contract agreeing to continue to share future data for the next 5 years (showing that the farmer is continuing the practice change).
- Since the carbon credit program is privately-funded, publicly- funded programs such as EQIP and CSP can also be used.
- There are no fees to the farmer.
- January 17 – Survey opens
- February 28 – Survey closes
- March 17 – Enrollment deadline
- April 17 – Data collection deadline
- April 28 – Data validation deadline
- July – Contracts
Links & Articles: Carbon Credits
Data Collection Sheet for Carbon Credits
Tillage Management Guide
Truterra Survey Tool
Carbon Markets: When you don’t know what you don’t know
Breaking Down Cover Crops with Dr. Jennifer Wells
Transitioning To Conservation Tillage with Dr. Jennifer Wells
Truterra Carbon Program Pays $4 Million to Farmers
Factors Affecting Carbon Sequestration in Soils